Charlie Atkins

Goole racer Charlie Atkins came away from Silverstone with a top ten finish. The 15-year-old was competing in the seventh round of the Hel Performance British Motostar standard class championship at Silverstone.

With the weather problems experienced by the MotoGP event the organisers had opted to race the national circuit rather than the full GP circuit.

Free Practice

The riders hadn’t ridden the national circuit before so it was a learning experience for all of them. It was also Charlie’s first time back on the bike after the huge smash he had at Cadwell Park, where he was luckily uninjured but his bike was all but destroyed.

Charlie Atkins used free practice one to check the repaired bike was running well in addition to learning the new 1.6-mile circuit. In the second session he was able to focus on lap times and learning more racing lines and finished as the sixth fastest rider.


On Saturday morning there was drizzle and then heavier rain fell during the 30-minute qualifying session. In the tricky conditions Atkins put in a good time but the field was so tight he only qualified 15th, but was less than four-tenths from the top ten.

Charlie Atkins
Photo: Hairy Beast Pix

Race 1

Atkins got a good start to the race moving up to tenth position in the opening laps. However, he was struggling for feeling with the front of the bike. struggled in the first race immediately having a problem with the feeling of the front of the bike. He got a good start and was up to tenth. However, on lap five Atkins ran on as he struggled with the front of the bike and lost five places. Ultimately, he crashed out on lap seven ending his race early and without points.

Race 2

After making some adjustments to the bike Atkins felt good in warm-up on Sunday and was prepared for race two. The gird was based on the fastest lap times in race one. Having only completed seven laps of the 18 Atkins started 16th in the standard Moto3 class. This race was for 22 laps and Atkins wasted no time when the lights went out.

He overtook a couple of riders round the outside going into the first corner before passing another on the inside as they entered the Wellington Straight for the first time. Atkins was then leading a group of riders chasing the front-runners and came across the line in tenth place at the end.

Charlie Atkins said,” The first race was disappointing. I knew immediately something wasn’t right but tried to ride round it. Unfortunately, the issue continued and I crashed early in the race. The second race was much better but I was a long way down the grid. I led the chasing group and it was good to be battling. A tenth at the end of the day wasn’t bad considering where I had started from. I must thank the people who keep me racing who include; Harman Carpets and Flooring, Craig Fenton Plumbing, Eugene McManus for the tyres,, The Bell and Crown in Snaith and Fosters Bakery and Selby Sports Massage and Personal Training.”